Develop and write a 1-3-page scholarly which should clearly reflect your personal philosophy of
nursing. The paper should include the identification and examination of your own perspective
(definition) of nursings metaparadigm of nursing, person, health, and environment, as well as
the identification of other concepts that you believe should be a part of our metaparadigm.
Discuss how these concepts are interrelated in terms of how you understand and accomplish your
work as a nurse. Give one or more examples from your clinical experience that captures the
essence of your philosophy. What is important in your practice of nursing including your values,
beliefs, and assumptions about nursing as science and art?
1. Consider how you view the art and science of the profession.
2. How do you view the practice of nursing?
3. How do you define human being, health, nursing, and environment?
4. What theories, beliefs, values, and assumptions shape your perspective of the nursing
5. Do you relate to a specific nursing theory or theorist that you have explored during your
6. Are you influenced by the ANA Code of Ethics or your personal faith?
7. How would you articulate this philosophy to others?
This paper should go beyond the usual global view of nursing. It should be written in your own
words but without the use of the first person.. Provide references and citations if the writings
or statements of others have influenced your philosophy. This instructional activity should help
you identify concepts you believe are important in nursing.
The paper should be double spaced, American Psychological Association (APA) format and no
more than 3 pages in length.