To begin, view the photo story below that shares some beautiful images of children around the world playing.
Next, choose one of the articles below to read:
- Option 1:
- Option 2: (the full-text version of this article can be accessed through the EBSCOhost database in the Ashford University Library).
- Option 3: Child and Mother Play in Three U.S. Cultural Groups: Comparisons and Associations (the full-text version of this article can be accessed through the PsycARTICLES database in the Ashford University Library).
Initial Post: Based on your textbook, photo story, and article (from the table above), address the following:
- 1. Synthesize your view of play around the world using at least two scholarly sources.
- 2. Examine how different cultures view the role that play should have when it comes to the early childhood classroom by providing at least one example.
- 3. Discuss how cultural values regarding play fit within Bronfenbrenner’s ecological model (Figure 1.3 in the text) and how it influences child development and play. Include at least one evidenced-based and developmentally appropriate strategy that can be used in the classroom to explain your thinking.
- 4. Analyze how family involvement in play differs by culture and explain how can you support these differences as a leader in the field of early childhood education.
- 5. Explain at least two conclusions can you draw about the influences of culture and family support on children’s play